Skip to main content

A Special Christmas

" But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."
Luke 2:19

As this Christmas season comes to a close I just wanted to take a moment to remember how much I enjoyed celebrating Christmas this year. Seeing Christmas through Adelyn's eyes was like experiencing it for the first time in so many ways. She loved everything from the lights on the tree and Santa Claus to reading the story of Jesus' birth and the verses behind the doors of the Advent calender each day. Her favorite songs included Away in a Manger, Jingle Bells, and Frosty the Snowman. She also loved to sing Joy to the World and Silent Night . My favorite thing that we could not believe is that she memorized the Christmas story from her Children's Bible and could recite it on command (if she was in the mood). Hearing her say "gwory to God in da highest, and peace of earf, Jesus, God's son was born!" melted my heart every time. She was also quite impressed by the candles in my mom & dad's windows at their house. When she saw them she shouted, "wook at da candles, mom! I can't beweave it! I can't beweave it!"

Another reason this year was particularly meaningful to me is because of the Isaiah bible study I've been participating in through Bible Study Fellowship. I've learned so much about God's prophecies and promises to the Israelites and Christians this fall. The words from O Little Town of Bethlehem - "the hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight" came alive for me in a way they never had before. I am so thankful for God's word and all that He's taught me through it this year.

So while this post is mostly for me to remember what a sweet and special Christmas I had, I hope that there was something special and different about Christmas for you this year too.  Lastly, I couldn't resist sharing my new favorite Christmas song that I'll probably be listening to all year long...




"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you ready for this?

Monday was a very exciting day at our house. I celebrated turnig 29 (Yikes! I'm getting old) and we had a fetal echocardiogram to check on Baby Lilly #2. We didn't get any great shots because once again this little baby had their hand right next to their face. A very comfy position apparently. I'm happy to report that my birthday this year was a million times better than last year  and Baby Lilly's heart looks great! But that's not what you want to know now is it. Nope, you want to know what our name list looks like...So far Matt has suggested Jelaine  and Lapchild (for traveling purposes) and Adelyn has suggested Adelyn, Susie, Martha (if it's a boy), and Baby Scruffa Muffin. Still not what you're looking for? Hmm, how about that Baby Lilly #2 is a... BOY!!! And while we are so not ready for a boy and a little shocked we're really exicted too. Thanks to everyone who voted, commented or left me messages on facebook about the Chinese Calendar. Both i...

"I have ponytail!"

Yesterday Adelyn wanted me to fix her hair in a ponytail. I can assure you it's much harder than it sounds. Poor kid got my hair. But she doesn't know it and after seeing herself in the mirror she was so proud. The first thing she wanted to do was show daddy. So, we made him a video... At dinner I was lamenting about how grown up she looks and that it makes me kind of sad. Matt's sympathetic response? "Her hair really isn't long enough for a ponytail if you ask me. She looks like a boy from the front and when she turns to the side she looks like a pirate." Ahh, just what every girl wants to hear, "you look like a pirate."

The Chinese Calendar

In less than a week we will find out if Baby Lilly #2 is a boy or a girl. We are excited, anxious, nervous, and can hardly wait! As I'm sure you know, there are countless wives tales people use to predict a baby's gender. My doctor predicted a boy based on the baby's heart rate and Matt's prediciting a girl because "the Lord knows what he needs." When I was pregnant with Adelyn women would tell me I was having a boy because of the way I was "carrying" (even though we already knew she was a girl) and recently I saw a pee on the stick gender predictor kit at Target. One of the more "reliable" gender predictors someone told me about is the Chinese Calendar.  It's based on the mother's lunar age and there are two different calendars to use. So, click on these links, see what it says about your child/children, and come back to vote in my polls (in the left column) about how accurate it was for you! Make sure you vote for each child if yo...