Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Proud Big Sister

Adelyn is the sweetest & proudest big sister in the whole world! Before Caiden was born I wasn't too worried about how she would adjust to her new role but I have been surprised and very thankful for how well she's done. She has not shown any jealousy about the time or attention Caiden gets and really just loves him so much. For the first three months Caiden got introduced to anyone who even turned their head in Adelyn's direction. She talks to him in a baby voice, wants to hold & kiss him, help change his diaper, and says "he's so sweet and lovin". In the beginning she really wished she could feed him. She would tell me "one day I'm going to be a mommy and have special milk in my 'pimples' too". I was a little nervous about how much curiosity and explanation would be necessary during diaper changes. I got off pretty easy in the beginning - "mommy, what's that boo boo on his bottom?" she would ask. I just told her that's what makes him a boy and amazingly enough she didn't ask anymore questions. Of course since then there has been further discussion...

The biggest set back we've had with Adelyn is that she's had quite a bit of separation anxiety since Caiden was born. I think it's due to how quickly we left to go to the hospital, had the baby and none of it went the way we'd talked about. Adelyn came to the hospital the day Caiden was born just to see me (he was still in the transitional nursery) and when she was leaving she told Matt "daddy, I'm reluctant to leave without you & mommy". She's doing a lot better now though. Life is feeling more secure I guess.

I had signed her up earlier in the year to take a Big Sister Class for 3 year olds in August before he was born. Even though Caiden was already 9 days old on the day we'd signed up for I still decided to take her and I'm so glad I did!

First we watched an informational video. After the video the nurse held up a picture of a real newborn, pointed to the belly button and asked "does anyone know what this is?" Adelyn raised her hand and called out "the umbilical cord!" The teacher's mouth dropped open. She was definitely not expecting to get an answer, much less the correct one from a 2 year old with perfect pronunciation!


Then they talked about how to hold, feed & burp the baby.

 

She also made this onesie for Caiden. I know you're so surprised to see that it has a  train on it.

What a lucky boy Caiden is to have such a sweet big sister!

No comments: