Thursday, May 28, 2009

Something to think about...

We definitely have our fair share of TV shows we like to watch...American Idol, The Bachelor, The Unit, Private Practice, the occasional Regis & Kelly. But when it comes to Adelyn I've been very careful not to let her watch TV. One because when it is on she zones in and can't do anything else. And two because there really isn't anything on TV for an 8 month old. Anyways, today as I was browsing my "What to Expect the First Year" book I came across some disturbing information...

"According to Nielsen Media Research, children two to twelve years of age watch an average of twenty-five hours of television a week. If your daughter's viewing falls into that average range, she will have spent 15,000 hours glued to the set by the time she graduates from high school-about 4,000 more hours than she will have spent in school. If her viewing isn't carefully screened, she will, research suggests, have witnessed 18,000 murderers, countless robberies, rapes, bombings, and beatings, and more casual sex than you could imagine. She will have also been the innocent target of 350,000 commercials."

So I really don't intend for this blog to be my personal soap box but seeing all those numbers really surprised me. Poor Adelyn is not going to be the cool kid on the playground when it comes to her TV trivia knowledge.

On a much lighter note - here is a picture of my crawling, climbing, cheerio eating, kitty chasing, sweet girl who is also very concerned with her dental hygiene.

1 comment:

Isaac&Kyle said...

I'm thinking you may have a future dentist on your hands!